Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Questions for Max

If you haven't heard by now, there's a fantastic show on NBC on Tuesday nights (10pm Eastern, 9pm Central) called Parenthood. If you're wondering why the hell a unmarried guy with no kids would be interested in a show like this, two words (well, five, technically): Lauren Graham and Monica Potter. I've had a crush on Lauren Graham for quite some time, probably back to her time on News Radio, if not earlier. Monica Potter is super cute too. Those two actresses certainly drew me in, but the show is a really interesting family drama that seems fairly realistic (as far as I can tell). It's an interesting insight into what parenthood is like, something that I'm not sure is going to happen for me for me or not.


I was looking forward to the premier long before it aired, and I had no idea prior to tuning in, but the first episode had a character named Max's, who was acting "odd" and having difficulties. Near the end of the first episode, his parents get the word that he has Aspergers Syndrome (Max doesn't actually find out until the middle of the second season). I think his character is fairly realistic, although maybe slightly stereotypical, especially considering it is played by a child actor. The director of the show, Jason Katims, has a child with AS, so he has some first hand experience with what it is like - a definite plus.

Anyway, this just flashed across my Facebook feed, so I thought I would mention it in case anyone hasn't seen this or heard about the show yet.

http://www.nbc.com/parenthood/the-experts-speak/2011/03/questions-for-and-about-max/index.php

2 comments:

  1. You're so cute. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the show. My husband has AS and he loves the show. He likes to watch shows that have Asperger characters. Bones.. is another. The Dr. has Aspergers and her team often have to protect her from herself.
    Another quirkly show is Monk. He is more OCD but we have fun watching this show b/c my husband has a few of these characteristics too.

    It's all about accepting who you are... and then surrounding yourself with those who can accept you too.

    ReplyDelete